Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Paal Payasam

Paal Payasam is one of the basic sweet most South Indian families make during festivals or on other occasions. Its simple and easy to make. One can make this in a thick bottom vessel, I remember my mom used to make it in Urli. I make it in a cooker. Before you use your cooker, clean it properly (If you add lemon in your cooker, while cooking dal or vegetables, its advisable you keep your milk in another small container within your cooker.)

Ingredients
Milk                                                                                                            1 litre
Sugar                                                                                                           250 grams (if you prefer more sweet, you may add 3-4 tablespoons of sugar more.)
raw rice (Preferably, Basmati)                                                                      1 handful





Firstly, clean the cooker well. Pick and clean the rice well and soak it for half and hour. Now add the milk and rice in the cooker or in another vessel that can be kept inside the cooker. close the cooker and when the steam comes, place the weight. Turn the gas off when one whistle comes.

Now, once you open the cooker add the sugar and keep the gas on low flame. For those who are not making the payasam in the cooker, please use a thick bottom pan. Leave the payasam on the gas for 10-15 minutes, till the color changes to light pink. You can stir it occasionally to avoid the payasam getting burned and sticky at the bottom. Your payasam is ready. Enjoy!!

8 comments:

  1. hey thanks for this.... just wanted to know how it becomes pink.......we used to cook rice in water and add milk later - kabhi pink nahi hua :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, don't use water for cooking rice in payasam. Make it my way, you will surely get the color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When i was in Hostel, I actually use to do a puja in the temple, coz they give Paal paysam as prasadam. I love it.

    Making it in the cooker is a good idea. Don't you add cardamom?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sunaina and Isha, thanks for going through my recipe. No, I don't add anything to the payasam. I guess, that's the beauty of the paal payasam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually made it today, I was just craving for it since I saw the post and found out how easy it is... but I did add cardamom.

    I agree with you, it tastes good just like that, it really doesn't need much flavoring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Isha, thanks buddy for the encouragement. Hope you both enjoyed the payasam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Usually for palpayasam nothing shud be added. Only a lemon size of butter washed well can be added so that there wont be any creamy layer in the payasam. In semiya payasam u can adad caradomem, nuts etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We both loved the paysam dear. So much so that we even forgot to take pictures.

    Thank you aunty for the butter tip. I'll try it next time, I make paal paysam.

    ReplyDelete